Tuesday, November 19, 2013

P2P Filesharing

In society today, many people share things via the internet. Whether it be music, textbooks, videos, or documents, people share things that seem relevant for others. File sharing is when you post and distribute these kinds of digital items on the web. The interaction of peers sharing these kinds of digital items through technology is called P2P file sharing. An example of P2P file sharing would be the website Napster. Before it was shut down due to legal issues, people would go on Napster and request for music. The music would be put up by users that already had it and be downloaded by users that want it. P2P file sharing is used very frequently today. I know I use it when I want music or to download a movie. It is quite convenient because I don't pay for it and can access my music that I desire. A really cool concept was introduced through a reading I saw. In the article, "Peers Find Less Pressure Borrowing From Each Other", Wendy Kaufman talks about how people share money via loans through websites. That is a really cool concept because nowadays, loans are getting harder and harder to get because of credit problems. "I went ahead and applied for the loan and I was able to get it funded in one week. And my rate was 6 percent. So it's half of what I had been paying. I thought it was a really great experience from beginning to end — really easy, you apply online and they gave you status updates." This woman seems to enjoy the loans from the website rather than getting loans from banks. They charged her half the rate the banks do and it was easy to get the loan. I see this becoming a huge success in the future, especially if I want to buy a house and need a loan with a lower interest rate!

No comments:

Post a Comment