Tuesday, October 15, 2013

BLOG: Social Networking Sites

There are many different social media sites in society today.  Some are very viral and used daily while others slowed down and slowly died down.  Some of these sites include Myspace, Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr.  These sites seem to be quite popular with connecting people domestically and global.  

Myspace was a social network I used in middle school.  It was your basic social network.  When it was launched, you automatically had a friend named Tom, the creator of myspace.  You slowly added people you knew or wanted to know to enhance the experience of social networking.  I know I met a lot of people I know today through Myspace.  The last time I used Myspace was back in 2009.  I just reconnected with my old account for this assignment.  Many things have changed about the lay out of it. You can now connect your Twitter and Facebook friends with Myspace.  Some things that weren't there in the past was the side bar and bottom bar.  They grant you shortcuts and notification tab which can be convenient and useful.  There is also a music player for you to play music.  I think it changed drastically over the last few years to compete with other social networking sites, but it seems to always be one step behind.  

Facebook is very popular in the past and today.  I remember using it about 1 year after I joined Myspace (yea I was a late social network bloomer).  My sister introduced it to me and I was instantly hooked.  Everything was so organized and they had shortcuts before Myspace.  There was even games on the site where you could interact with your friends over the internet.  Even today I still use Facebook frequently to connect with old friends and make new ones as well.  I like the overall organized homepage and the games are always a plus.  I use Facebook to network with people doing school projects or when I study for tests.  Facebook is a very useful social network that I see growing in the future.  One thing that I don't really like is the constant update of the layout.  I really enjoyed the original layout and I hope sometime down the line they bring it back! 

Twitter seems to be what the new buzz is.  I've had an account for a long time and I never seem to use it.  My friends got me to make one and I always think to myself, "what's the difference between tweeting and posting a status on facebook?"  It virtually is no different, but Twitter has those constant updates which is really cool and the fact that it reaches anyone across the globe is awesome as well.  With Twitter, your posting does not have boundaries.  I also like how Twitter is easily accessible and it is user friendly.  Once you knock down the basics of tweeting, replying, following, retweeting, and hashtagging, I think you will survive pretty well in the Twitter world.  I think Twitter is great and it continues to grow because I know different companies using it to their advantage.  I follow Nike.com on Twitter and they always answer to customer complaints and provide necessary information to customers simply by replying to a tweet.  

Tumblr is a blogging site where people blog about things that interest them.  I've been using Tumblr for about 2 years and I have to say my experience is lovely.  I follow funny people that blog about hilarious things so I get a good kick out of it.  Tumblr is a blogging site that allows you to be private or public and lets you blog about anything.  You could put up written posts, pictures, videos, advertisements, and etc.  Tumblr enables the user to do blog about what they want and when they want.  My tumblr consists of funny pictures and fun gifs.  Gifs are moving images that are excerpts from movies, videos, or just self made.  I follow people that posts things that will brighten my day, because I love to laugh.  My experience with Tumblr is that it is a fun way to express yourself in a relaxed manor.  Whether your audience is your friends or someone across the globe, Tumblr extends your boundaries to blog to anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment